Sunday, February 27, 2011

Some excitement


Okay, so I m know I am being really bad about writing in this blog.  But HEY, I have been busy J  Well, I haven’t written since I left for the bus tour, so I will start from there.  The first place I will be spending the night is Rotorua.  And on the way there is the Hobbiton tour.  This is just a tour of where all the hobbits live that you see in the movie.  Everything was so cute!!  All the doors and windows were just adorable.  I am not allowed to post pictures, but I have plenty of them to show you all when I get back!  It was cool to see it all in real life.  After the tour I made it to Rotorua and I went to a Maori hungy.  The Maori are the natives here in NZ.  And a hungy is a hole that is dug in the ground and food is cooked by wood and hot rocks.  Let’s just say it was really good.  Anyway, they also had a Maori presentation, where they danced and sang in their native language.  It was pretty cool. The Maori men also dress in loin cloth type things with tattoos on their thighs, shoulders, chests, face…you get it.  You all know how I enjoy tattoos, so yeah, I liked this activity, haha!   After leaving Rotorua, I went to Taupo.  This is where I attempted to take my life in my own hands.  I was going to sky dive…………….. (a pause for you to get over the shock)……………………………… my intentions were not completed though.  They have a strict law in NZ about the weight limit for skydiving, so I was not able.  There were a couple of other people that were not able as well.  So after Taupo I headed off to National Park, but on the way there we stopped at Waitomo Caves.  They have glowworms in the caves here.  Which is really cool to see.   I went cavetubing!  I posted pictures on facebook.  It was a lot of fun, and getting those wet suits on was not an easy task!  One of the guides helped me out a lot on the trip.  His name was Ku (sounds like coo).  I didn’t mind his help at all.  When we got in the cave and turned off our lights you would look up and there were thousands of glowworms attached to the top of the cave.  It reminded me of home on a clear dark night, looking at the stars, except they were a mint green color.  I really loved it.  There really isn’t much to do in National Park.  The reason that we stop there is because a lot of people do this walk called the Tongariro Alpine Crossing Walk.  It takes about 6-8 hours.  It is up a mountain, definitely not easy.  I was not interested in doing this.  So it was just a chill out day for me.  Wellington was the next destination I stayed at, and I was here for 2 days.  We arrived a bit late so that evening I just hung out and slept in late, it was nice.  I really like the city of Wellington.  There is lots to do and lots to see.  The city has lots of different artwork displayed all over the city, I didn’t have time to see even a small portion of it.  They also have a Maori tattoo museum, which it is about the size of my living room, haha.  So mostly it is a tattoo parlor J  it gave me some ideas… Sunday was another long day of traveling.  I had to leave really early in the morning to catch the ferry to cross to the south island, to get to Nelson.  So I have now been traveling for about a week, and this post is really long, sorry, and I think I will continue this another day!!
Love you all,
Natalie  

No comments:

Post a Comment